Department of Mechanical, Materials & Manufacturing Engineering
Guidelines on Stage 3/4 Projects
You should agree with your supervisor at the start of the first semester
how you will distribute the effort you will put into the project.
Remember that the project is your equivalent to three or four modules
(depending on your degree programme), so you are expected to spend a lot of time on it.
- Term 1, week 1: Visit your project supervisor to discuss the work you will do. Start the project.
- Term 1, week 2: Give your proposed project plan and objectives to your supervisor. Agree any changes needed.
- Term 1, week 3: Give your final project plan and objectives to your supervisor.
- Term 2, weeks 1/2 (Semester 1 examination period): Oral presentation of your work to date and proposed work to completion.
- Term 2, week 10: Give the draft of your dissertation to your supervisor for comments.
- Term 2, week 11: Discuss with your supervisor any suggestion he may have for modifications to the draft.
- Easter vacation: Complete your dissertation.
- Term 3, week 1: Hand in at least two copies of your dissertation for binding. As soon as they have been bound, give both copies to your supervisor and agree a date for the viva voce examination.
Four (4) module MEng projects only. In addition to the above, you will be required to meet the following deadline:
Project Plan |
What is Expected of You |
The Project Diary |
The Dissertation |
Marking Scheme |
Notes on Writing a Dissertation
- Term 2, week 1: Give your interim report to your supervisor.
This page is maintained by Dr J M Hale
This page last updated March 2000