This is a shortened version of my full CV. If you would like
see the full version for any reason (perhaps you are going to offer
me a job!), mail me at the address below.
Full name: Peter
Address: Geomatics, School of Engineering, Cassie Building, Newcastle University, Newcastle NE1 7RU,
Tel. +44 (0)191 208 6351, e-mail
Education and other qualifications
1981 - 1988:
Dulwich College, London.
1989 - 1992:
Queens' College, University of Cambridge.
- B.A.(Hons.) 1992, Natural Sciences
(Geological Sciences), class II.1 [M.A., 1996].
1993 - 1997:
Exeter College and Department of Earth Sciences, University of Oxford.
- D.Phil. 1997, Earth Sciences (abstract here):
1998 - 1999:
University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher
- Clean, full UK driving licence including nonprofit class C1,D1 (1988).
- MiDAS minibus driver certificate (2012, 2017).
- Level 2 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work (2016).
- Previously: St. John Ambulance `Lifesaver Plus' certificate (1995); Northumbria Ambulance
Service HSE First Aid at Work certificate (1999, 2002, 2005).
- MLTB Summer Mountainwalking Leadership Certificate (Plas y
- 1998 - present:
Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
(Department of Geomatics 1998-2002, School of
Civil Engineering and Geosciences 2002-2017, School of Engineering
- Lecturer 1998-2004, Reader in Geophysical Geodesy
2004-2007, Professor of Geophysical Geodesy since 2007.
- Teaching of undergraduate courses in GPS/GNSS, geodesy,
geophysics and geohazards, informatics (Linux), research methods.
- Research into precise GNSS geodesy; global and regional
deformation monitoring; global loading and the water cycle; ocean tide
glacial isostatic adjustment; plate tectonics; earthquake source
mechanism determination and tsunami warning; global reference frames;
tropospheric water vapour effects on GNSS.
- Administrative roles have
included: Chair of the
of Examiners in Geomatics (2008-2010, also Secretary 2002-2007); School
postgraduate research "Tsar" & Chair of PGR Board of Studies, with
for PhD/MPhil study across the School (2005-2008); School Postgraduate
Tutor & Chair of PG Staff-Student Committee (2004-2005); membership
of University working groups for postgraduate
and electronic progress monitoring (2007-2008); membership of Faculty
School committee (1999-2008); PhD/MPhil admissions coordinator for
UNIX/Linux systems coordination and administration (1998-present);
elected member of University Senate (2012-2015); Deputy Head of School (2016-2017); Geomatics group
- 2003 (Apr-Dec): Visiting Assistant
Professor, Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research (Department of Aerospace Engineering Science) and Department of
Physics, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA.
- Collaborative research into global loading deformation
and the water cycle.
- 1997 - 1998: Junior Research Fellow, Wolfson
College, University of Oxford, UK.
- 1996 - 1998: Post-Doctoral Research Assistant,
Department of Earth Sciences, University of Oxford, UK.
- Investigation of co- and post-seismic crustal deformation
using GPS and InSAR observations and theoretical models; study of
lithospheric dynamics and seismic hazard in the Aegean.
- Familiarity with the Bernese GPS processing software,
DIAPASON InSAR processing software, Unix, C, Fortran, Awk, GMT and
- 1992 - 1993: Post-Graduate Research Assistant,
Department of Earth Sciences, University of Oxford, UK.
- September 1991: Student trainee, Siemens Plessey
Ltd., Romsey, Hampshire, UK.
- 1988 - 1991: Sponsored student trainee, Marconi
Underwater Systems Ltd., Croxley, Hertfordshire, UK.
Affiliations and service
- American Geophysical Union (1998-).
- UNAVCO Global Velocity working group (1999-).
- Associate Member, International GPS Service (1999-).
- IAG Special Study Group 1.181 "regional permanent arrays"
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy [formerly Institute of Teaching
and Learning in Higher Education] (2001-).
- IERS Special Bureau on Loading (2002-).
- Fellow, Royal Astronomical Society (2002-).
- GNSS “Pinpoint” Faraday Partnership
- NASA Interdisciplinary Science, global sea level peer review
- NERC Services Review Board (2004).
- NERC Space Geodesy Steering Committee (2004-2007).
- NERC Geophysical Equipment Facility Steering Committee
(2006-2010; Chair 2010-2014).
- Board of Editors, Journal of Geodesy (2007-2015).
- Suppleant, COST Action ES0701 management committee (2007-2011)
- NERC Peer Review College (2008-).
- European Science Foundation review college (2008-).
- British Geophysical Association committee (2009-2015; Treasurer 2011-2015).
- ESRC/NERC interdisciplinary PhD studentships peer review panel (2010).
- NERC Networks of Sensors peer review panel (2010).
- NERC New Investigators peer review panel (2011).
- UK National Correspondent to International Association of Geodesy [IAG] (2011-).
- UK International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics [IUGG] National Committee (2011-).
- Academy of Finland, Earth Sciences review panel (2012, 2016).
- NERC Large Grants panels (2013, 2016, 2017).
- TSB Satellite Applications Catapult NE Centre of Excellence steering committee (2014-).
- NERC Standard Grants panels ad hoc member (2014, 2015).
- NERC Earth Sector Services and Facilities Advisory Group (2014-).
- NERC COMET+ associate member (2015-).
- NERC Standard Grants Panel A core member (2016-).
Recent research grants
- UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council:
- Correction of
tropospheric artefacts in SAR interferograms using GPS observations
- Synergy of GPS,
digital photogrammetry and InSAR for coastal zone monitoring (Co-I,
towards millimetre-accurate real time positioning using GNSS (Co-I,
- Institutional Award Equipment Funding (PI, 2013).
Other academic, professional, or
subsidence monitoring at Houghton-le-Spring (British Geological Survey;
- An assessment
of ocean tide loading models for precise GPS positioning in Great
Britain (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Education Trust;
- Tropospheric effects on GNSS
positioning for airborne applications (Royal Institution of Chartered
Surveyors Education Trust; Joint PI, 2011).
- Mitigation of GNSS multipath by the use of dual-polarisation observations (Royal Institution of Chartered
Surveyors Education Trust; Joint PI, 2013-2014).
- Regional glacial isostatic
adjustment and CryoSat elevation rate corrections in Antarctica
[REGINA] (European Space Agency; PI, 2013-2014 and 2014-2015),
Industrial research and consultancy:
monitoring of North Sea oil platform movement using GPS (Shell UK;
Co-I, 1998-2002; PI, 2002-2016).
monitoring at Wytch Farm oil field, Dorset (BP; Co-I, 2002, 2004,
- Review and
validation of improvements to GPS subsidence monitoring at Ekofisk
field, southern North Sea (Phillips Petroleum; PI, 2002-2003).
- Permanent GPS
monitoring of BP Shah Deniz platform, Caspian Sea (BP/Fugro; Co-I,
- An examination of commercial network RTK GPS services in Great
Britain (The Survey Association;
- Further examination of commercial network RTK GNSS services in Great
Britain (The Survey Association;
- Reprocessing and analysis of offshore platform GNSS data (Hurricane Geo Inspection Survey / Petronas; PI, 2016).
- Optimisation of the value and performance of PageNET (Ordnance Survey International / NAMRIA; PI, 2017).
- East of Leeds control survey validation (Central Alliance; PI, 2018).
Research students and postdoctoral scholars
- Research student examination:
- Newcastle University: Ugur Sanli (PhD, 1999); Grant Kilby
(PhD, 2002); Jim Turner (PhD, 2003); Abdulaziz Alothman (PhD,
2004); Nadim Dayoub (PhD, 2010); Liz Petrie (PhD, 2010); Ian Martin (PhD, 2011); Matthew Goode (PhD, 2014).
- Also, independent viva chair on several occasions.
- Australian National University: Janosch Hoffmann (PhD, 2016).
- University College London: Chris Atkins (PhD, 2016).
- Technical University of Delft, Netherlands: Yu Sun (PhD, 2017).
- Postdoctoral researchers/fellows advised and other research assistants::
- Anne Bottrill (1999-2002).
- Dr Konstantin Nurutdinov (1999-2005).
- Dr Matt King (2002-2007).
- Dr Nigel Penna (2004-2006).
- Dr David Lavallée (2004-2008).
- Dr Anna Freemantle (2006-2007).
- Dr Sibylle Goebell (2007-2011).
- Dr Paramesh Banerjee (2008-2009).
- Dr Maxim Keshin (2008-2011).
- Dr Rory Bingham (2008-2012).
- Dr Sophie Bassett (2009-2014).
- Dr Kirill Palamartchouk (2011-2016).
- Dr Liz Petrie (2013-2015).
- Dr Achraf Koulali (2018-).
- Mountaineering and walking (UK; French Pyrenees and Alps;
New Zealand Alps; Mulanje Mountains, Malawi; Chile; US Rockies).
- Scouting (sometime helper with 25th Camberwell Scout
- Exploration and travel (treasurer of 1992 Oxford University
Expedition to Mount Mulanje, Malawi; extensive travel in Europe and
USA, also Sumatra, New Zealand and Chile).
- Running, orienteering and cycling.
- Northumberland : my wife (who is Director) and I run a
small company, Leaholme Cottage Ltd, which under the name "Leaholme
Cottages" operates self-catering holiday cottages in Newton-by-the-Sea
and Alnwick. For more details see www.leaholmecottages.co.uk .
See my separate publications
list for details of academic publications. (Researcher ID: B-1783-2008) (ORCID: 0000-0003-1276-8300) (Google Scholar profile).
modified on 2018-Jun-21 by PJC.